More sleep and a happy baby . . . in just one click. Magic? A miracle?
No . . . it's a reflex!ª
National Fatherhood Initiative is proud to bring you The Happiest Baby™, an evidence-based, scalable, and affordable program for parent educators. Developed by Dr. Harvey Karp, America's most-read pediatrician, The Happiest Babyª quickly boosts sleep and soothes crying, the main triggers of abuse, postpartum depression, unsafe sleep practices, and breastfeeding failure.
Dr. Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby™ techniques are based on a newly discovered newborn behavior the calming reflex that can quickly calm baby's crying and increase sleep by at least one hour. Dr. KarpÕs unique approach is empowering parents across the country and helps prevent postpartum depression, child abuse, breast-feeding failure, marital stress and crib death.
How The Happiest Baby™ Technique Works
- Challenge: Parents can feel powerless when baby is fussy, not sleeping, or cannot be soothed.
- Benefits & Facts: Empowers parents - Two University of Arizona surveys found that The Happiest Babyª education dramatically boosted parental confidence.
- Challenge: Babies have trouble sleeping long enough, or through the night.
- Benefits & Facts: Increases baby's sleep and reduces crying/colic - A Boulder, CO DPH study with at-risk families reported increased sleep using The Happiest Baby™. An NIH-Penn State study found increased sleep during first 4 months.
- Challenge: Persistent crying can trigger Postpartum Depression (PPD), and even result in Shaken Baby Syndrome or unsafe sleep practices.
- Benefits & Facts: Prevents postpartum depression, child abuse, and SIDS: The top triggers of PPD are exhaustion, infant fussing, and an unsupportive partner; all 3 are directly improved with the 5 S's. In addition, the top trigger of Shaken Baby Syndrome and unsafe sleeping is persistent infant crying. The AAP cites The Happiest Baby™ swaddling in their Shaken Baby prevention initiative.
- Challenge: Breastfeeding is healthy for babies, but some mothers stop prematurely due to infant fussing.
- Benefits & Facts: Supports breastfeeding: The Happiest Baby™ improves nursing by boosting bonding, increasing sleep, reducing crying, PPD, and smoking. It is used in WIC programs in 5 states.
- The Happiest Baby™ DVD teaches the 5 S's technique to quickly turn on a baby's calming reflex, allowing babies to sleep an extra 1-3 hours
- The Super-Soothing Sleep Sounds CD plays unique sounds that perfectly imitate the womb: soothing crying (even in the car) and boosting sleep (use for the first year of life).
Staff can distribute the DVD+CD Combo and/or teach The Happiest Baby™ techniques in many settings serving families, including:
- Health Departments and Home Visiting Programs: An easy "plug and play" tool to enhance existing parenting curricula, programs and services (such as WIC).
- Hospitals and Pregnancy Centers: Ideal for use by nurses and childbirth educators with expectant parents or parents with young babies.
- Military Bases: New Parent Support Program staff can distribute DVD+CD Combos to military families on base and in military hospitals.
- Any Community Organization serving fathers and families
The Happiest Baby™ Educator Certification Program also available. Visit https://store.fatherhood.org/the-happiest-baby-educator-certification-program-for-1/ to learn more!